Monday 15 August 2011

Rome - Day 20 - 11th of August


Same routine in the morning of getting up, having some breakfast and then having showers.
The plan for today was to head to Rome and see all the sites of the city and then tomorrow we would go to see The Vatican.
After making some lunch to take with us we went an got the shuttle bus some the hostel to the Vatican from where we planned to walk into Rome. This was a bit of a mistake on our part as it was pretty far to get to the sites we wanted to see. It was easily a 30min walk from the drop off point to the first site we wanted to see.
We started off by seeing a few of the fountains and piazza’s and getting and ice cream from a place that only seemed to do off the wall flavours. There was no chocolate or vanilla but there was vanilla with whisky and many other odd flavours. After the ice cream we headed to the Colosseum, which we wondered around for a while before going to see the forum. The ticket which we purchased for here included entry to the Colosseum so once we were done there we head to take a look inside. It’s crazy to think how long ago it was built and is still standing. I wonder if any of the stadiums from our time will be standing in thousands of year’s time. I’m pretty sue they won’t. Let’s hope Anfield falls first! : )
I could go into more detail on the sites we saw and things we did but to be honest I have forgotten most of the name of things. I will add a few photo’s of the things we saw at the end of this post
Once we were done in town we started the long walk back to the pick up point. I swear we must have walked what seemed like 10 miles this day. Once back at the site we chilled as we both exhausted and had another full day planned tomorrow. A few ice-cold beers were sunk and we drank our bottle of wine which we had purchased in Umbria. It was very nice although not as lively as a wet spaniel, which is how it was described in one guidebook.
As a side note I should add that Rome is home to more smart cars than I have ever seen in my life. Honestly they must consist of 50% of all cars in Rome. I could not believe how many there were. Crazy. I always wondered how Smart stayed in business and now I know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment